7.19.2010

Secrets, secrets are no fun...

Did you know:
Hamm's favorite episode of last season was "The Gypsy and The Hobo," in which his character's secret double life exposed to wife Betty. "It was beautifully written and shot," he told TV Guide.

This is what I had to say about the episode way back in October 2009:

Don Draper:
Or should I say Dick Whitman? I honestly NEVER thought I would see this day. I mean, I never thought Betty would find out, and then when she did, I assumed she would never confront him. But when she confronted her husband about his sordid past last night... whoa, what a show.
It starts when he stands in his office and realizes she knows the truth. His hand that grips the keys to his past (literally) loosens its grip, and he doesn't even flinch as Betty takes them away and opens the drawer. The action moved to the kitchen, where we see a frazzled Don standing over the sink, reaching for a cigarette. The usually calm, cool, and collected leading man has never been shown so shaken. When she asks if he is looking towards the door, he responds simply, "I'm not going anywhere."
Finally, the scene in the bedroom, when he admits his whole past, is seriously breathtaking. I don't think I blinked for the whole conversation. I thought he would maybe tell her a simple version; only reveal what he had to. But no, he tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Being born to a prostitute who died in child birth; being raised by Archie and his wife, and then later after his father died, Mac; going to Korea and taking Draper's identity because it was easier than starting over; divorcing Don's wife and buying her a house; he even admits to visiting her while he was in California!
And when she asks him about Adam, the little boy from the pictures, (ugh Jon Hamm you deserve all the acting awards they can possibly give you!) he breaks down, admitting that his brother came to him and just wanted to be in his life and he turned him away. He turned him away because he didn't want to 'risk all this.'
It is a known fact that I hate Betty and love Don. Even though she mostly acts like a seven year old, I really hope she takes this as a gesture of love and doesn't dangle it over his head forever. AND I hope Don doesn't take back up with that psycho school teacher. She is getting too googly-eyed at him anyway.
Obviously, Betty did not forgive Don, as she is headed off the Reno with that other Dude. (Fine. I never liked you anyway, Betty). Anyways... I'm super psyched about the premiere and to see how Don's life is changed once his secret life is revealed. You think Betty would tell on him?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails