11.11.2010

Twitter Hearts Live TV

Just finished reading this Fast Company's article about Twitter driving people back to must-See, live, appointment TV, and I have to say, I wholeheartedly agree. A lot of emphasis is given to the whole DVR, watch-it-online, streaming-thru-Hulu-or-Netflix phenomenon that is going on out there, but live TV is not dead.... thanks to social media.
 “[In the last 18 months], I think we actually saw the pendulum swing back toward things like shared experiences, back toward live TV. I think Twitter, of course, is one of the things that drove this." 
-Robin Sloan (who can be found here)
I love my DVR, really I do. But when I'm watching Hawaii Five-0 and tweet about Kevin Sorbo making a cameo or blast out via GetGlue that Christian Shepard is romancing Nora on Brothers and Sisters it is a little less exciting when I'm watching the episode days later. Not to mention, sort of irrelevant.

I've always loved TV, duh, and it is probably one of the reasons I started loving social media too. My first @ mention came from Becky Buckwild (of VH1 Reality TV). Some of the first 'strangers' I started following were people who were talking about Real World/Road Rules Challenges or America's Best Dance Crew. I saw the power of live tweeting during the 2009 VMAs.

Am I going to give up my DVR? No way, Jose. But I will say my heart breaks a little when I can't watch (and tweet) about my favorite shows as they are happening.

Does that make me addicted to television? Yep, probably.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails